Bluestein Law Firm, P.A.
Call Now for a FREE Consultation
Phone: 843-577-3092 | Toll Free: 866-428-4030
Call Now for a FREE Consultation
Phone: 843-577-3092 | Toll Free: 866-428-4030
An Experienced Attorney To Navigate Legal WatersBegin Your Free Consultation

Do you qualify for injury compensation under the Jones Act?

You may have been working aboard a merchant ship since you were old enough to go to sea. On the other hand, you may have just completed your first six months as a crew member on a commercial fishing vessel. The job is exciting but dangerous, and if you suffered an injury, you may be wondering if you can claim compensation.

Whether you are a seaman, deckhand or the captain of a cruise ship, you are entitled to compensatory damages under the Jones Act in addition to any other compensation that might be available.

Maintenance and cure

Under general maritime law, merchant seamen who suffer an injury in their work can receive maintenance and cure. Maintenance speaks to pay for room and board while the seaman is recovering from the injuries. The term cure refers to medical care and treatment related to the actual cure for the injury rather than the pain involved.

Jones Act provisions

The Jones Act, instituted in 1920 along with the Merchant Marine bill, provides for compensation to those who suffer injury because of negligence by the owner of a vessel, the captain or a crew member. In other words, if you receive an injury on the job, you can sue those responsible. Compensation may be due to you for medical bills and expenses as well as future medical costs not covered under maintenance and cure in general maritime law. Compensation can extend to lost wages, lost earning capacity and even loss of enjoyment of life if you suffered a severe injury or disability.

Seeking help from a maritime lawyer

Maybe you received an injury when your ship collided with another or was not seaworthy. You may have been hurt because the crew ignored safety standards or because equipment was not properly secured on the deck. Do not delay in seeking legal assistance. An attorney experienced with admiralty law can help you achieve your goal of obtaining appropriate compensation under both the Jones Act and general maritime law. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

We Can Help Protect Your Rights Schedule a free initial consultation with us by calling 843-577-3092, or fill out the form below

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Call 843-577-3092 or 866-428-4030 For A Free Consultation

Mt. Pleasant Office
266 Coleman Blvd.
Suite 103
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464

Toll Free: 866-428-4030
Phone: 843-577-3092
Fax: 843-577-3093
Map & Directions

Myrtle Beach Office
Grand Strand Business Center
1293 Professional Drive
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

Map & Directions